What are split ends?
Split ends occur when the ends of the hair follicle split into two (or more, depending on the severity) parts, which damages the hair making it weak and non-repairable. The only way to get rid of split ends is to cut them off.
Split ends occur when the ends of the hair follicle split into two (or more, depending on the severity) parts, which damages the hair making it weak and non-repairable. Split ends usually occur at the tip of your hair but can actually occur at any point on the hair follicle.
One of the reasons some people go in to get a haircut is to fix split ends. The only way to get rid of split ends is to cut them off.
By identifying what causes split ends, you’ll then be able to figure out what needs to be done in order to eliminate them. This will keep you hair looking nice and healthy. The following is a chart of the different types of split ends you can get.
What causes split ends?
- Lack of routine maintenance (regular trimming)
- Excessive use of hot styling tools (irons, hot curlers, blow dryers, hot combs)
- Overuse of chemical treatments (relaxers, perms, hair color)
- Use of inferior styling tools that rip/snag hair (cheap synthetic brushes, combs, brush rollers, etc.,)
- Environmental damage (heat, cold, wind and other climate issues)
- Unbalanced diet (intake more healthy fats and vitamin E)
- Improper de-tangling techniques
- Over washing
- Excessive towel drying
- Excessive use of styling products such as gels, waxes and sprays
- Trimming with inferior scissors
- Use of inferior hair care products
Now that you know what causes split ends, you can make a conscious effort to avoid these activities and be on your way to get the mane that you’ve always dreamed of.